Did you know?
There are an estimated 30 million human trafficking victims worldwide.
Human Trafficking generates £20 Billion annually.
Approximately 800,000 people are trafficked across international borders every year.
There are an estimated 2 million children exploited by the global commercial sex trade.
Trafficking is… to be taken against your will, bought, sold and exploited in places like the sex industry, sweatshops, factories, circuses, for body parts, forced begging, cannabis cultivation and domestic servitude. 80% of victims are women and 50% are children. Men are trafficked too for work in agriculture/heavy manual labour.
Trafficking is…where victims usually suffer repeated abuse, physical violence, psychological control, fear, threats to themselves and their families. The same person can be sold and resold many times.One person is Trafficked every 30 seconds.
There can be a sense of hopelessness that it’s too big an issue for you to make a real difference, however today across the globe, ordinary people are working together hand in hand, to break this cycle of slavery!
* Read recommended Books and articles * Watch Human Trafficking films and discuss the issues raised * Watch / Listen to credible TV Discussions on Trafficking * Read Local and National newspapers for current news and statistics * Sign up to receive Aglow’s AHT twice monthly email, with information from Jessica Wilson and pointers for prayer * Attend day Seminars / Conferences on Trafficking * click here to read 5 ways people can be trafficked
RECEIVE AND SPREAD AWARENESS ABOUT ANTI-TRAFFICKING
Share what you know and have become aware of. As we become aware ourselves we can look out for our family and friends, children and grandchildren and those who may be vulnerable, with the potential for exploitation
Prayer breaks chains and gives favour that is supernatural - it enables rescue and puts people in the right place at the right time
* Support Anti-Trafficking organisations through prayer. If there is one in your local area you might be led to partner with them and support by supplying toiletry bags or whatever the needs are, including prayer
* Pray for the victims and for their families, who have also been left broken, needing money to survive and living in fear of repercussions from the traffickers
* Pray for those taking action to help combat Human trafficking i.e. POLICE, LOCAL AUTHORITIES, THOSE CAMPAIGNING TO CLOSE BROTHELS. THOSE DRIVING THE VICTIMS TO SAFE HOUSES
* Pray for those with the power to pass legislation against Trafficking
* Pray for an Anti-Slavery Commissioner to be established
* Pray for the prosecution of traffickers and courage and protection for the victims
* Pray for wisdom for the workers and volunteers to be able to give the emotional and spiritual support that victims need following their rescue. Currently victims are given 45 days in a “Safe House” to give them time to reflect, receive practical help and make decisions. It can take up to 7 years for a person to recover their self worth, their identity
* Pray for the demand for pornography and illicit sex to “dry up” and the abuse of domestic slaves to cease
* Prayer walk / drive your own community during the day.
* Target Schools / Shopping Malls
* Places of entry into the nation i.e. Airports / Ports / Railways and Bus / Coach Stations
*Any information / valid suspicions you have should be put into the hands of those who are trained in this field. Modern Salvery Helpline: 0800 0121 700 which is manned 24/7
* Contact your MP and raise your concerns
* Sign petitions - these are powerful tools to raise this important issue
* Shop with discernment - If the goods you are purchasing are really inexpensive, be aware that someone further down the line is paying the full price for them, in slavery/low wages - Jessica Wilson’s newsletters highlight some links which would be useful and informative on this subject
Aglow is reaching out and shining the Light of Christ into the darkness of Human Trafficking, through Prayer and Action… to see the Tyranny of Oppression broken… to see victims Freed and Empowered… to see people restored to a radiant place of relationship with God and one another!